Our pepper plants are producing some really large, beautiful peppers. This dish is a great way to use bell peppers and is quite hearty. Enjoy!
- 4 bell peppers, sliced in half stem-to-tip, seeds removed
- 1c quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 2-3 jalapeno or other spicy pepper
- 1/4c cilantro or parsley, minced
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/4tsp pepper
- olive oil, if desired
- 1/2c Monterrey Jack, grated
- 1/2c cheddar cheese, grated
- Add quinoa and onion to a large saucepan with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 5 minutes, cover, turn off heat and let steam 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Pour quinoa/onion mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in black beans, tomato, spicy peppers, cilantro/parsley, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. If dry, add olive oil.
- Divide filling among peppers. Nestle stuffed peppers into pan. Sprinkle with cheeses
- Cover the pan with foil and bake at 375 degrees 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and cook about 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.