This weeks recipe comes from our CSA member Jana. She made the farm team a batch of it and left it in our walk in cooler this past week. It was a great surprise and boy did it hit the spot on these hot days. So delicious, definitely put it in your menu plans this week!
Chilled Spiced Yellow Squash Soup
from the New York Times
- 2 pounds yellow crookneck squash, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more to garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/8, teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Chopped mint, to garnish
- 1. Combine the squash, olive oil, red pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric and 1 1/2 cups water in a pot with a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until the squash is very tender.
- 2. Once the squash has cooled, purée it in a blender on high for 30 seconds. Pass through a fine-mesh sieve. When completely cool, season to taste with the lime juice, salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with mint and a few drops of olive oil.