yield: Makes 12 servings
- 6 pounds rutabagas, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 24 whole green cardamom pods
- 1/2 cup créme fraîche=
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Freshly ground white pepper
Place rutabagas in large pot with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Add salt and cardamom pods; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer until rutabagas are tender, about 25 minutes.
Drain rutabagas; discard cardamom. Working in batches, puree rutabagas in processor. Return puree to pot. Cook over medium heat until dry, stirring, about 5 minutes. Mix in créme fraîche and thyme. Season with salt and white pepper.