One of the many great uses of the cucumber!
Of course, all kinds of veggies are delicious pickled (Paige shared some incredible pickled okra with me the other day).
I plan to get my feet wet (but not pickled) with this fast and easy recipe I found in my Organic Gardening magazine. Let us know if you have any favorite concoctions!
1 lb. medium cucumbers
3 gloves garlic
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
1/2 tsp. whole mustard seed
1 tsp. fresh dill weed
1 whole dried bay leaf
2/3 cup brown sugar
6 1/2 TBSP. white distilled vinegar
6 1/2 TBSP. white-wine vinegar
3/4 cup water
1. Cut the cucumbers into spears or slices and place into 2 qt. jar or container with lid.
2. Add garlic, peppercorns, mustard seed, dill weed and bay leaf.
3. In separate container, stir together brown sugar, vinegars and water.
4. Pour liquid mixture over cukes, cover, and shake well to combine.
5. Chill and serve! (For fullest flavor, chill 24 hours before serving.)
Will keep up to 3 months in the fridge.